April 29, 2008

Mother's Day Mayhem

Is it appropriate to hand your husband a list for Mother's day? Or should you just be content with the surprise? How much should you expect for the big day? Will flower's suffice or is this your day to receive something over the top? I have always mulled these insignificant questions and have decided to pull in the posse and see what YOU all think (well, those of you that are women- I don't really care what you men think- no offense).

Mother's day (as with all celebrations) does have the potential to go over the top. Here is what CNN.com suggest for the top 5 gifts. Ladies, get ready, because these rock!
  1. A 6.2 million dollar Harry Winston diamond brooch
  2. A $600k Chanel watch
  3. $3,000 chocolate truffles in a cool orange box
  4. A $14,500 Hermes Kelly Purse (um hello, Coach is so much cooler)
  5. A $10,000 per night spa get away in Maldives
Those may be good option for Nicole Richie- Happy 1st Mother's day Nicole! But for the rest of us, reality is starkly different. Men, here is where you tune in for some fabulous ideas.
  • Flowers How do we really feel about flowers on the day meant to say thanks for everything you do? I put a moratorium on carnations several years ago. Let's be honest- they're ugly, they're an abnormal color (come on girls, they are dyed green for St. Patty's day), and they cost about $1 a dozen. Roses are nice but do they really say "thanks for wiping poop, cleaning up throw-up, making dinner, and cleaning the house every single day"?
  • Candy Am I really as simple as fat and sugar???
  • Exercise Equipment Men, read this very carefully: Only if she is in PHENOMENAL shape. We know we need to work out- don't remind us. Please resort to this ONLY if she begs for it.
    Disclaimer: Running shoes are totally different. Those say "hey, I think these will make your fantabulous legs look even more gorgeous".
  • Jewelry Always safe. Probe a little. Does she currently desire a necklace? Or maybe a monogrammed ring? And always, always, find out- is she currently into silver or gold. It changes yearly so stay on top of it.
  • A simple spa day Perhaps a mani/pedi combo or maybe a massage or facial. Always followed up with a trip to Starbucks and maybe even a trip to mall for new sandals to show off a set of freshly pedicured toes.

    Girls, any additional suggestions would be great. And be sure to "share" your comment with your husband. He needs to know what you think!

    Happy Mother's Day!

7 comments:

Mimi/Mom/Christy said...

You clean the house every single day???..Okay..I've been a mother 27years now, a grandmother for 1year,and may I just say...I am NOT worthy..Get this girl the freakin Coach bag Joel..I'll settle for a leftover Patty's Day green carnation G.P.!
My suggestion...Perhaps start a birthstone Mom's necklace or ring...Research required, as Kari suggests....Necklace or Ring?,Silver or Gold?,Long or Short Chain?
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all you wonderful Young Moms; you are loving/nurturing the future!!!

Jason, Angie and Brady said...

I sent Jason a website link today with exactly what I want. It's a super cool diaper bag. I know you want to check it out so here is the link for you:
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3011087

So instead of a list, I gave him an option. ONE option. I guess it's not really an option.

But I love your list as well :)

Nicole said...

I'm definitely as simple as fat and sugar.

the keith fam said...

I secretly desire just being doted over from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to bed (you said to be honest right).
A few of my fav's are: gerbera daisies, starbucks, lunch on the town, my spring pedicure, handmade cards from the kids and this year I've hinted about this little treasure ...(drum roll please...a family tree locket. It's from Red Envelope and has a place for pictures of my 3 kids. A girl can dream, can't she :)

The Glocks said...

i love this blog! its right up my alley! i found a great letter charm necklace jannaconner.com!!!!! I think that its so fun!!! You can get just your initial or one for everyone in your family! kinda pricey but super cute! i would also love a great new purse/diaper bag!!!!

Mandie said...

I am happy with time that I get to be the boss...the kids aren't too into that though so i usually end up a bit disappointed

Jessica said...

ummm...i like the spa getaway. i don't need one that costs 10K a night, though!