January 27, 2009

Some wintry day yummies

So I actually accomplished something Monday.

Not only did I wash, fold, and put away 4 loads of laundry (which included sheets and towels!!!), I did it all within a few hours. And then, I cooked!

Okay, I have to clarify the above statement. 2 of those laundry loads were actually done last Monday and they just kept my laundry room company until Friday. At which point the joined the family room and we stared at them all weekend.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I decided to post my recipes. Now, they are not anything spectacular and to be honest, the poppy seed bread didn't rock my world. I had 2 recipes and couldn't remember which one was better. Now I know. I'll make that one in a few weeks and post that one too.

But anyway, if you want some good wintry recipes, here are some for you to try!

Potato Bacon Soup
*this recipe is homemade which means the amounts are kinda funky-
you will probably adjust them over time*

Combine below and simmer for 1/2 hour
  • 3 3/4c water
  • 4 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 stick celery
While simmering above...
  • Boil 4 or 5 medium potatoes- 2 to slice, 2-3 to mash
  • Fry 5 strips of bacon
  • Sautee 1/2 onion in bacon drippings
When the potatoes are done, drain and set aside 2 to slice up in the soup. You will want to mash the remaining. I tend to use the less is more theory with the mashed because they thicken a lot. I like to mash them with some margarine, butter, and onion salt. You really can't screw them up.

Next, add potatoes (sliced and mashed), onion, and bacon to the simmery mix. Add 4 ounces of Velveeta, a pinch of parsley, and grated pepper to the pot. Let it all melt together and blend for about 1/2 hour before serving.

Keep in mind I'm saving for a new camera at which point, my pictures will all start to look a little more beautiful. Or maybe I'll just care more.

Poppy Seed Loaf

Combine
  • 3 cups flour
  • 2 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. poppy seed
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 cup oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 t. almond extract
Combine all ingredients until smooth and placed in 2 greased loaf pans or one greased Bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Immediately, pour the following glaze over the top:
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 1/4 cup confectioner's powder

And here is a picture of Mason just to make you smile. He is being a musketeer.


What a day we had with our swords and guns...but that is another post all together.

2 comments:

The Essons said...

Thank you Kari -I can't wait to get cooking!

Mandie said...

Ok, that picture of Mason, could have been Pax. He ALWAYS has out his sword and gun. He keeps saying,'My friend Mason gived me these at his party. I loved that party.' Nice job at getting stuff done! It feels good!