June 12, 2008

Evolution of a boy

I have a boy. I always knew he was a boy of course. But somehow, this week, he became what we would refer to as a boy. It all started after we buzzed his hair. It suddenly made him look more mischievous. Take away my baby and his curls and replace it with complete and utter boy.

I would also like to say for the record that I would like to fill this blog with pictures showing my boy being a boy but the other BOY in the family decided to take the camera in the ocean. Enough said.

Anyway, to prove how my life has dramatically changed, I have a few points I would like to focus on.

Exhibit #1: Yesterday, Mason built a fort. He then decided he should bring down his toys and play house in his fort. He then blew up his house with guns and swords (?!?!) so he could be a firefighter.

Exhibit#2: Yesterday (it was a big day) Mason and I went to the zoo with my friend Ashley. We went in the Feline house and got a pretty good view of the leopards. We put our kids against the railing and let them watch the angry pacing leopard. She and I are in conversation and I'm not paying attention to Mason (mind you, I do think I'm a pretty good mom- I am rethinking it). I then turn as Mason has jumped the railing, put his face on the glass, and is staring face to face with the leopard. I mean face-to-face people. The only thing separating their noses from squishing together is a thin piece of glass and that leopard is looking at Mason like he is the most delicious thing he has ever seen. Mason was unphased. I was not.

Exhibit #3: Tonight Jackson and Lilly are over. And apparently Tarzan too. Because in slow motion I watch my toddler leap from the couch, onto my prized and beloved curtains, and slide down them as if he was sliding down a pole at the playground. Um...I don't think so.

Now, if you have a boy, this may seem normal to you. If you have a girl, it may sound normal. And if you have a boy with a buzz cut, you would probably say the best is yet to come. But these are all new to me- and I absolutely love them.

disclaimer: since Joel once ran in front of a moving truck, you would think I should have been prepared.

6 comments:

Jason, Angie and Brady said...

Note to self...no buzz cuts.

Thanks for totally freaking me out about having a boy! I'm shipping Brady out to CO as soon as he is born!

Actually I've been reading "Bringing up Boys" by Dr. Dobson to prepare myself for the mysteries of boyhood!

The Essons said...

An awesome post Kari -it gets me a little bit excited to think we might have a boy... They definitely live life on the edge!

Lindsay said...

I can't EVEN tell you how much better this makes me feel!! Have you seen my latest post?!? My son is only 14 months and already he's devious enough to deserve SPANKINGS!! Heaven help us!!

Little S said...

Hey Kari! I found your blog through Janet's new blog. How fun to catch up on your life after all these years. The wonders of technology!

I like the name Mason! He looks like a ton of fun!

I'm excited to continue reading about your adventures.

the keith fam said...

I second that!!! :)
but it is so fun, isn't it...adorable little men.

The Elgard Family said...

I love that kid. I hope I have a boy and the first thing I am going to do is give him a buzz cut. In honor of Mason, of course.