July 9, 2008

All Things Patriotic

So we celebrated the 4th of July this summer with our 3rd Hillside Old Fashioned Picnic. Yes, surley as old fashioned as it sounds.

We're talking potato sack races, three legged races, and even dodgeball (?!?!). I'm pretty sure that was an american classic up until the 1860's when the ball's took on the same shape as the Civil War cannon balls.

We even had Cotton Candy. Sadly, I didn't get any because it was quite the trek to the bathroom to get. Read that again...it's true.

Mason even got in on the relays. I don't have a picture of him potato sacking it but he ROCKED. He jumped a few jumps, the sack fell to the ground, and he kept on a jumping. Until the big kids passed him for their lap back and he just kept on a running with them. He had the time of his life.


He also 3 legged raced. Each partner gave up on him before the race began, so he just kept running wild through the runners. Diaper and all. Or should I say diaper and that's about all.



Joel and I also partook in the fun. Joel and his partner used their 3 legged abilities to push over the 2 6'5"+ bullies that were so threatened by their speed.

**still wishing for camera in the spot**

I made deviled eggs... mmm, a July 4th favorite. For me- not for Joel's nose. Was my paprika really nutmeg or has it just browned since I bought in Iowa? Nevertheless, they were eaten minus 4 that I could have won $10 for eating after 5 hours of sitting in the heat. Doable? Maybe. Tempting? Not so much.

**still needing a camera**


And every mother's proudest moment. Mason jumping in the pool set up for the kids to fill their water guns. Mason, pulling other kids in. Mason, throwing water at everyone. Mason, half naked, running crazy, like every other July 4th picnic.

Ahh, I beam with pride.


3 comments:

Linda said...

Those are great pictures! I can't believe how big Mason is getting. He already looks older than when I saw him last in Vail!

Jessica said...

i loved your deviled eggs, one of my favs, too!

Amy said...

next time i see you, i am letting you borrow our camera!