10 days ago, he began his 96th year on Earth.
And today, he began eternity in Glory.
We kids have always had a special relationship with our grandparents.
We are the only grandkids on that side and we grew up only 45 minutes from them.
They have a massive amount of land complete with acres of forest, a well we used to climb in, a chicken coop, a raspberry patch, and a motor home, among many other things 3 kids could kill time doing.
My brother could get away with anything when it came to Grampy- he was the apple of his eye. And visa versa- most people wouldn't get away calling him Jeffy into his 30's.
We took countless trips with them to different beaches, campgrounds, Cape Cod, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and many more.
They were always such a significant part of our lives even as we grew up and moved away.
Gramps always had really funny phrases that no one else would use. Phrases like "By jingles" and "oh my achin' G.I. back".
I can always picture him with a piece of toilet paper stuck to his chin after cutting himself shaving.
I am truly blessed to have had the experiences I did with him. He was a man who passionately loved God.
I will always remember his off key voice singing his heart out to hymns. Or his every day reading from "Our Daily Bread".
Every morning Grammy would set out our breakfast and he and I would eat Eggo's with raspberries and Grape Nuts.
Or sometimes I climb in bed with him and we'd eat and then dig through his nightstand. I'm sure you all have Grandpa's with fun nightstands.
There were flashlights galore, batteries that didn't work, 5 sets of headphones, a massager from the 60's that felt like it was going to shake your brain out, and several issues of Reader's Digest and National Geographic.
My mom says that all my sassiness and stubbornness came straight from him.
He will be missed. He was a wonderful man.
But after 96 years on earth, he was ready to go Home.
It's the wonderful memories that he created that will always keep him with me.
And they will be with me until that glorious day when we meet again.


8 comments:
I sit here with misty eyes and an abiding hope that even ONE of my grandchildren have the need to express memories like that of their time on earth with me...And that EVERY one of them know they will see me again when we all dwell with our eternal Father in the Heavenly Kingdom...You are precious and loved sweet Kari...
Kari, I am so sorry about your grandpa. My grandpa died a few weeks ago as well. I will be praying for your family. What a beautiful tribute!
I'm so sorry, Kari. Those are all really nice memories of your Grandpa. *Hugs*
So well put Kari!! We love you!!
What a special tribute Kari. Thanks for sharing about your Grandfather. He sounded like such a wonderful man.
My love and prayers are sent to you and your entire family at this difficult time. What a true blessing to know that he is in heaven at this very moment with our Lord and Savior.
Love you Kari, So sorry that your sweet granpa died. But so happy that you had those great sweet memories of him that you will always remember.
Kari, I am sorry to hear about your grandpa, sorry I havent called you back, not sure what happened but life got hectic. You are in my prayers for sure, I hope you have a wonderful time with your family out east, enjoying the great memories and laughter! Loveya!!!!
Post a Comment