So about 2 weeks ago, Joel went on a camping trip with my dad, brother, and brother-in-law. He came home for 12 hours and then left again at 6am for a trip to San Antonio for work. Mase and I spent 2 days at home on our own and then packed it up and headed to good old mom and dads for a few days. My mom was watching Mason while I worked and let's face it- there's nothing like mom cooking for you!
We talked to him a bit while he was gone but his minutes were about to run out and he forgot his charger so the calls were very short. His poor phone is so old it doesn't last very long without some chargin' love!
By the time Joel got home, I was more than ready to see him. Of course, his trip was longer than planned since he gave up his seat for a free ticket. Add a late flight to that, going to the wrong economy lot and searching for your car forever (yeah...I don't know) and I was ready to welcome him with weeping. Of course, I didn't accomplish that because I was so tired from my week I was asleep when he came in!
I recently found out he rode home 1st class...isn't he lucky? It must've been nice and silent on the trip home.
Ahh...silence. Did you know silence is extremely underrated? I would know- my son talks as much as I do. And I'm about to add a crying newborn to the mix! I now know what I must sound like and what I must've been like as a kid. God bless you mom and dad!
Anyway, Joel took pity on me and whisked Mason away to the mountains for a night. I spent the day shopping guilt free. I ate ice cream for dinner and Noodles & CO for dessert. It was awesome!
I even spent time doing things for the baby. Poor thing. Mason is treated like a 2nd born I can't imagine what she's going to be treated like!
And then, I received that text.
"There are no camping sites anywhere...we're coming home."
Um, it was supposed to be silent until about 11 the next morning. Coming home?? I don't think so! I'm not cooking, I'm sleeping in, watching what I want on TV, and combing through baby clothes whilst making a huge mess. Home was not an option.
But bless Joel's heart he knew both Mason and I would be broken hearted if they returned home. So instead, they chose the backyard with the promise that I "wouldn't hear them". Sounds GREAT!
This is what I found when I returned home.
Yes, that is our backyard. How cute is that camping site!?
Ohmygoshthatissofreakinadorable!!
They had a great time! They play stolf (Camp Elim people), went hiking, cooked outside, and even used the fence and rocks for their bladders.
They did come in once to turn off the sprinklers and grab the laptop. Mason got to watch Spiderman in the tent.
I am waiting for Mason to pee on the fence when he is playing outside.
And somehow, they still came home smelling like outside and roughing it.
And truly, how did Mason's head come home smelling like wet dog?
And me? I got a the silence that I had been longing for for 3 1/2 years.


2 comments:
I'm making Scott read this! He's too scared to stay home with the kids, let alone TAKE them somewhere by himself!! :)
how cute! what a fun family story :) glad you got some quiet "me" time! i bet you're super prego cute!
Post a Comment